It is one of the most popular sports all around the world and widely viewed sport. It is a team sport that is played between two teams consisting of 5 players each, where every player tries to score a goal by shooting the ball through the hoop.
The National Basketball Association is one of the most popular and highest professional basketball club all around the world. The players of this association are considered to be the best sportsmen. Other clubs include FIBA America, Euro league, etc.
The sport made its first demonstration in 1904 and then in 1924 in Summer Olympics. However on a regular basis, since 1936 it became the part of Summer Olympics programs.
The creation and history:
The history of the sport goes back to 1891 when a Canadian physical education professor named as Dr James Naismith while teaching at YMCA school, wrote the rules of a new game to keep his students active and preoccupied. After that, the game became popular in colleges and high schools. However at the professional level, the sport was played in the 1920s.
Talking about the international levels, FIBA was established in 1932 by a mutual collaboration of 8 countries.
Similarly women basketball was first begun in the year 1892 by Senda Berenson, at Smith College, who modified the rules for females.
Originally it was played using a soccer ball but later on in the 1950s, a new ball was designed by Tony Hinkle. The main reason was to make the ball more visible and with improved shape to facilitate dribbling.
The Rules and Regulations:
- The game is played between two teams having 5 members each excluding the substitutes that are unlimited in number.
- The main objective of all the members is to score a goal for his or her team letting the ball pass through the hoop that is 10 feet above while preventing the members of the other team to get hold of the ball.
- When a player tries to attempt a goal, it is named as shot, and if the shot is successful, the team is given 2 or 3 points depending on the distance from where it is made.
- The game consists of four quarters or around 12 minutes each but the length of quarters can vary. Overtime of 5 minutes is also given at the end.
- Every team has a coach that manages the strategies and other teams personnel such as managers, doctors, trainers and much more
- A standard uniform consisting of a pair of shorts and a visible jersey number unique with the team.
- A limited number of time-outs, clock stoppages are allowed when requested by the coach.
- The game is controlled by the referee, one or two umpires and table officials.
- Along with these, there are also many other rules of the game regarding timekeeping, individual and team fouls, team possession arrow and shot clock.
The main equipment in a game is ball and court with rectangular surface baskets at both ends.